Listen to the sound of English as it was meant to be heard. This collection of timeless British and American poems is an experience to be treasured.
The readings, by brilliant classic actors Alexander Scourby, Nancy Wickwire, and Bramwell Fletcher, are presented in the order they appear in The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Third Edition, and are selected for their ability to delight.
The poetry is also among the most anthologized verse in the English language. Included are such best loved works as Shakespeare's "Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day?," John Donne's "Go and Catch a Falling Star," Robert Herrick's "To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time," Robert Burns' "A Red, Red Rose," John Keats' "Ode on a Grecian Urn," Walt Whitman's "Oh Captain, My Captain," and William Butler Yeats' "The Wild Swans at Coole" - a total of 81 major poems from 39 poets. It is simply a collection of the best.
1. The Cuckoo Song
2. Whoso List of Hunt
3. The Nymph's Reply to the Shephard
4. The Passionate Man's Pilgrimage
5. Sonnet 1 from Strophe and Stella
6. The Passionate Shephard to His Love
7. Sonnet 18
8. Sonnet 29
9. Sonnet 116
10. Sonnet 129
11. When to her Lute Corina Sings
12. Rosecheeked Laura
13. There is a garden in Her Face
14. "Go and Catch a Falling Star"
15. The Rising Sun
16. "Death Be Not Proud"
17. Song: To Celia
18. The Argument of His Book
19. Delight in Disorder
20. To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time
21. Upon Julia's Clothes
22. The Collar
23. The Pulley
24. Love (III)
25. When I Consider How My Light Is Spent
26. "Why so Pale and Wan, Fond Lover?"
27. Out Upon It!
28. To Althea, From Prison
29. To His Coy Mistress
30. The Definition of Love
31. The Retreat
32. A Song for St. Cecilia's Day
33. Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard
34. From Poetical Sketches: Song
35. From Songs of Innocence: Introduction
36. The Lam
37. The Tyger
38. To a Mouse
39. A Red, Red Rose
40. She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways
41. Composed Upon Westminster Bridge
42. My Heart Leaps Up
43. The World is Too Much With Us
44. Kubla Khan
45. She Walks in Beauty
46. When We Two Parted
48. Ode to the West Wind
49. To a Skylark
51. In First Looking into Chapman's Homer
52. Ode on a Grecian Um
53. Bright Star
54. Concord Hymn
55. The Rhodora
56. Sonnets from the Portagues; 1, 43
57. To Helen
58. The City in the Sea
59. Annabel Lee
60. Break, Break, Break
61. Song from the Princes: The Splendor Falls, Tears, Idle Tears, Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal
62. The Eagle
63. Crossing the Bar
64. My Last Duchess
65. Home - Thoughts from Abroad
66. Song of Myself: Parts 1,6, 21 & 31
67. Oh Captian! My Captian!
68. Dover Beach
69. "The Soul Selects Her Own Society"
70. "A Narrow Fellow in the Grass"
72. The Garden of Proserpine
73. The Darkling Thrush
74. Pied Beauty
75. Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now
76. With Rue My Heart is Laden
77. The Lake Isle of Innisfree
78. The Wild Swans of Coole